Thursday 20 August 2009

Taxonomy

Taxonomy is the practice and science of classification.

"Taxonomy is a method of organizing content. For example classifying music by genre could generate this list: classical, jazz, rock. A single area such as "classical" might be further classified as concertos, sonatas, symphonies, and so on."

So what happens when I do it with Type that I find around my house? Comic, book, packaging. Can I get even further by grouping all of the single letter's together so I have page Of G's and E's. (Or in my case X's by the look of it...whoops.)

Do I only have to photograph the type, can I draw it myself and have page coloured with pencils, another only out lined?

I've really been getting into type and logo of late. Racking my brain's to come up with a decent logo for my own uses proved difficult. I kept staring at the piece of paper and the lettering that had no connection with the actual theme. It's time consuming, but it's great having other inspirations around me. It also shows the field I want to go into to, the sort of Graphic Design I want to reach towards.

It might work, it might not but that's the whole point of "trying".

As well as the logo/type book I've been making my own record of summer through image and illustration, including some type. Picture's too come.

No comments: