Thursday 12 February 2009

End Of Module Self Evaluation

Module: OUGD102 ? (it is 102 or 202)

1. What Practical skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

In this module, I have used a wide range of skills I have learnt how to bind a book using the perfect bound method. I had wanted to do perfect bound originally for my final project but opted for spiral bound instead. This was because of the whole “side kick note book” I had at first.

I have also tried to use more illustration in the project, as it is something I really want to start working with more. This means I will have to start practicing my illustration skills.

2. What approaches to/methods of problem solving have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

As research has been the main focus for this module, i have tried to push myself further than past briefs. This is becasue research is not my strong point. The way I look at it, it is but compared to what other people produce, research wise, is always greater. it was something that was picked up on with my last submission. I knew who my target audience would be and so I stuck with my concept of using known characters. I did think to use my own characters but I belived that this would only confuse people. (For this kind of book I did not want to ahve it both ways. I knew that most people would ahve no idea who many of the characters where but I would have felt it was cheating if I have put in my own.)

When i started I did not quite know what direction I would ahve lied to ahve gone in. As usual, it's the end of the module and I suddenly have all of these ideas. What competely stumped me was that I could have simply made a comic book. This had not even crossed my mind. (Which was very strange...)

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

The research i collected was rather useful for the purpose of the book. However, I think the actauly writting content of the book is one of my strongest points. I have used friendly language and my own banter to urge readers to turn the pages. The illustrations where not as strong as i had wanted them too be and I did end up falling short and using past illustrations of mine.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

Not nessisarliy a graphical error, but I do have to try and work on remembering to run my things through a spell checker. And, as ussual, I have run out of time or mis judeged how much time I actually have. I also think that i could have worked on the art work more and spent more time on it.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. Go for the obvious idea. This was pointed out to me that sometimes you just need to sit back and try and get out the obvious. I'll try not to go for the "Killer Idea" and maybe that way I won't be stll stumbling along in week 3/4.

2. Document my things more photographical and to update my blog with this information. This way I can better organise my ideas and refer more easily to previous work.

3. Work with more stock and more binding ideas. Not to just get one idea and think that that is what i have to stick with.

4. Store away each project when it comes to the end. That way I will know where everything is and I'll be able to file it better when it comes to submission.

5. Print this evaluation out and keep it in sight so I know what mistakes to avoid and what I am supposed to be doing to help myself.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

Attendance 4
Punctuality 4
Motivation 4
Commitment 4
Quantity of work produced 4
Quality of work produced 3
Contribution to the group 4

No comments: