Wednesday 4 February 2009

You Are My Home...



"The Life & Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby" By Charles Dickens.

(Tl;dr but please try...)

For my Illustration Class we where to put across that we where proposing for a new film in what ever way we wanted. I choose to promote NN in a comic book fashion.

I've read the original and I have the 2002 film with Jamie Bell (Smike) and Charlie Hunnam (Nicholas) and it's one of my favourite story's by one of England's greatest writers.

I also looked at the work of Adrian Alphona , a Canadian artist who worked on Volume 2 of "The Runaways". So the art work is highly based on his way of penciling though I don't think I did it an ounce of justice. (Their shoulders are too stiff.)

I think that if a comic book was to be made of NN, then One) I'd love to script it XD and two) Alphona would have to pencil it. Mostly because he has such hilarious looking things hidden away in the Backgrounds of his work. I also like how he draws tall people and not so much the buffed out superhero.


I worked with a couple of textures for this piece. Mostly becasue I'm lazy and secondly, becasue I wanted to try something different so the character is the only one you're focused on, very much like the original story. (Though at some stage I went mad with it and now It doesn't quite have the affect I want.)

I also get the gayest vibes off of this very innocent little wording. *coughs*

Smike:where will you go?
Nicholas: Perhaps to Liverpool. I could find work on a ship. Do not be anxious. Before I do anything, I will get you to your home. Where is it?
Smike: ... You are my home.
Nicholas: Smike!
Smike: Please, may I go with you to the sea? I will be your faithful, hard-working servant. I will. I promise I will. I want only to be near you.

I did in the book as well, but that was only becasue Nicholas wakes up with Smike wrapped around him in a barn in the middle of Yorkshire. But despite that, it's a story I favour more than any X-men saga it's self. Which says an awful lot for me, I.E a geek.

Textures:
http://sheisprettystock.deviantart.com/art/Antique1-81703246 ,
http://insan-stock.deviantart.com/art/texture-20-70066569 , http://mourningstocks.deviantart.com/art/Old-Paper-1-22865437 , http://myruso.deviantart.com/art/Victorian-grunge-V-81146561
Art Work (c) Me
Characters (c) The Estate of Charles Dickens.

PS: Colours may have Royally screwed up becasue it was made with print in mind (CMYK). I've had to change to RGB to post it on the Internet.Which took forever to change! Bah...!

No comments: